Hello dear Readers
We saw many museums and art galleries on our trip to Canada, and loved them all.
Above is an installation in the foyer of the Canadian Museum of History, located in Quebec, across the Ottawa River from the Canadian Houses of Parliament in Ottawa. This time, we were there to see 'River of Dreams', Impressionism on the St Lawrence. During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Canadian artists were influenced by the Impressionist movement in France, and many artists went to Paris to study.
We enjoyed the paintings very much, particularly the impressionist snow scenes in the newly industrialised cities in Quebec.
| Henrietta Mabel May (1877-1970) 'Street Scene, Montreal, 1913. Camellia Cottage photo. |
| Maurice Cullen (1866-1934) 'St. James Cathedral, Dominion Square, Montreal.' c.1909-1912. Camellia Cottage photo. |
There was also a wonderful painting of women sitting by the river in the sunshine, knitting...presumably socks for soldiers as women the world over did during WW1.
Another day there was an art show beside the local Mississippi River, with lots of artists from around the Ottawa area:
| Henrietta Mabel May (1877-1971),'Knitting' 1915. Camellia Cottage photo. |
Another day there was an art show beside the local Mississippi River, with lots of artists from around the Ottawa area:
But I did buy a painting, in fact three, very tiny pieces which I could take home in my luggage.
I so love my little pieces of Canadian art.
Today I heard the sad artistic news, that four Renoir paintings had been stolen from the Renoir Museum in Cagnes-sur-Mer on the Frence Riviera near Nice.
I quickly realised we had been to that lovely museum in 2019 and looked back through our photos.
I do hope they find and restore those priceless wonderful paintings.
What a wonderful morning we had there.
Have a good weekend.
Best wishes from the Camellia Cottage
XXXX
How lovely to have visited the Renoir museum. I do hope they find the stolen pieces and restore them to their proper place for us all to enjoy.
ReplyDeleteYou've introduced me to a new-to-me Canadian artist - Henrietta Mabel May. I like what I've seen of her work in your post and will look her up. The small pieces of Canadian art you took home with you are sweet mementoes of your time here.
Yes, I had not heard of Henrietta Mabel May before either. On previous trips we have focused on the Group of Seven and their contemporaries, and the Impressionist group was a great find. Thanks for popping by.
DeleteAnother lovely post, Trish. How fantastic to visit the Renoir museum. I didn't know about the theft in France though. That is indeed shocking and I hope they find them. It's lovely that you took some Canadian art home with you!
ReplyDeleteHi Val, Thanks for popping by. I have not seen any more reports about the Renoir museum, but only hope they find and restore the art. I am busy looking for frames for Canadian prints I also bought at the National Gallery in Ottawa.
DeleteI like the paintings with the snowy scenes. The art show sounds nice, and the small paintings you brought home are remembrances from your trip. That's strange that you got an allergic reaction to the hair color. It's good to see you with dark hair, even if it was just for a moment. That must have been interesting to see the palette and easel. I'm glad you got a chance to visit so many museums and art galleries on your trip to Canada, Patricia.
ReplyDeleteHave a sweet September week.
It was strange re the hair colour, but we tested again a few weeks later and it happened again at another salon. At least it saves money now! We really indulged ourselves in art and museums, and saw quite a lot more than I have shown. Happy memories, and Happy September days to you too.
DeleteHello beautiful Trish! Sorry I'm late visiting. My blog won't update to show new posts for some reason? But lovely to see more of your amazing trip. What beautiful pieces of art! I love that you have some treasures to display from Canada too. I visited Ottawa many years ago and watched the changing of the guard and it was so cool. It's crazy all this art in Europe that keeps getting stolen?? But it feels like times are crazy in general these days. Wishing you blessings on the rest of your week. xoxo
ReplyDeleteHello lovely Carrie. There is something peculiar going on in the Land of Blog, causing these ups and downs. I had a day like that too, but then it corrects itself. Oh yes, we watched the changing of the guard once, at the beautiful Ottawa Houses of Parliament. We drove past them again this time. How nice to know you have been there too. Once we went over in Winter and stayed at the hotel across the canal for a few days, overlooking the Parliament building. Happy snowy memories. Times in general are crazy all over. Australia doesn't seem to know what its doing either.... Blessings to you and hope the blogs behave. xoxox
DeleteI enjoyed all the artwork but the Knitting picture has my heart. I've also not heard of the artist before, I'll look her up.
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo
Isn't that the most gorgeous picture, Amalia. Disappointingly, the did not sell prints of it, or I would have had one for sure. She was such a beautiful artist, and a joy to learn about them all.xx
Delete**Patricia, the turkey Nel has in her house belonged to her grandma too. When we saw my brother, he had a big box of stuff from our mom, and the girls got to rummage through it. They were very close to their grandma. Nel chose the scarecrows and the turkey, and Jess picked a few things too. The grandgirls also got a few goodies. ; )
ReplyDeleteI have never crossed into Canada anywhere but the west end of New York State. Never been to Kingston or Ottawa. Maybe I need to put that on my To Do List.
ReplyDeleteI hope you had a wonderful time at the museum.
ReplyDeleteLoved the tiny pieces of painting you got. They look cute! :)
Happy you know you had a wonderful morning..
Wishing you many more. Love from India.