Sunday, August 2, 2026

HOLIDAY PLANS AND HAPPY GARDENS


 Hello dear Readers

Soon we will be heading off to Canada to visit our daughter and her family, so I'm looking at a few photos from our last trip three years ago.

I saw these patriotic birdhouses at a Garden Centre...

Unfortunately they were a bit bulky to bring all the way back to Australia.


We enjoyed an overnight stay in a cabin at Parc Omega in Quebec, where there were wolves outside our large picture window.  They howled in the night which was both thrilling and terrifying, and a new experience for we Aussies...


In other news, the Camellia Cottage garden has been covering itself in glory during the cooler weather, producing the biggest roses we have ever grown.  Reader, these blooms were as large as my outstretched hand.  (And I do not have small hands!)




Our house is built on land which was a pineapple farm until 20 years ago, and has red volcanic soil.  It seems very fertile and we have not got around to giving our roses any fertilizer at all.  Not that we are agin it, we have just been very busy since we moved here...


Even the mini roses are bearing blooms much larger than those last Summer.  

I am off to start packing now.

The weather over Ontario way seems moderate right now, with some rains forecast.  I am taking a bit of everything: a sleeveless dress for ultra hot days, some light pants and short sleeved shirts, jeans and a couple of tees plus a light puffer jacket for cold/wet days.

You never know what to expect in these days of climate change!

Unlike our European Opera tour last year, I don't have to pack several 'glamour' outfits for nights.  More room to squeeze in some Aussie treats for the grands, and a few family items for my daughter.


I don't know if I will be able to blog while away. Since I started the new blog I have found the Blogger program difficult to work with and my skillset not up with the latest developments.

Hope you are all well, and I'll be back one of these weeks.

Love from the Camellia Cottage

XXXXX






















18 comments:

  1. Those bird houses are delightful. I don't think I've ever seen a white wolf, so mysterious and pretty, and Yes, be careful of the wolves. Your roses are growing beautifully. Love that soft blush color. Have a fun and safe trip, Patricia. I know how hard it is to squeeze in those treats for the grandkids, but we do try. Enjoy your time with your daughter and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheri, I hope I see more cute birdhouses this time. The white wolf was lovely to see, in fact they all were. Such interesting animals, and we loved watching their pack behaviour. I've been busy working out what to take for the family, and one item is an old family quilt I made years ago. I like to give my daughter reminders of her Australian history.

      Delete
  2. Those roses are gorgeous! They must really like where you've planted them.
    Have a wonderful trip, Patricia. I'll be thinking of you winging your way over our little island on the west coast as you make your way east. I hope the time with your dear family is full of laughter and joyous conversations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you good wishes Lorrie. I am so proud of those big roses. I chose the locations carefully, sheltered but with some daily sun. They just love the red soil here. I will definitely look out for Vancouver island which we should see if there is not a lot of cloud as we come in to land. Exciting!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness Trish. Your roses are GLORIOUS!! I’m so excited for you and your big trip. It’s so true you have to pack for all kinds of weather. Lol Same of the northwoods here. I hope you have a wonderful time and get to love up those grands lots!! Safe travels and love to you. ๐Ÿ’—

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie, I love that you enjoy our roses, and I am so grateful they put on this show this week, just before we go on our trip and might have missed them. Can't wait to see the grands in person - got a little glimpse on Facetime today, but nothing beats being there in person. Love to you too my friend. xxxx

      Delete
  4. i am so excited for you and your trip to Ontario to visit your wonderful daughter and her family! I can only imagine what fun things you have tucked in your cases, for her and your grandchildren!

    Your roses are so intoxicating and remarkable with their size!

    Wishing you memorable and meaningful trip my dear! I will be thinking of you when I see planes flying over! Big hugs from SoCal! XOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your good wishes Tamera. The trip was everything we hoped, and a very special time. It was probably our last time so we made the most of it. xox

      Delete
  5. Wishing you safe travels. Many memories will be made for sure . Colleen ✈️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a wonderful holiday, Trish. I think you are doing great with the blog, so we'll hopefully see some photos from you in due time. Safe travels and enjoy every moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Val. We are home now, and after a wonderful holiday, I am trying to get the blog to cooperate :)

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photos. Hope you have a lovely time. Warm greetings from a retired lady living in Montreal, Canada ❤️ ๐Ÿ˜Š ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. It was great, and we in fact drove along the edge of Montreal on our way south to visit Vermont. What a beautiful area it is.

      Delete
  8. Very impressed with your roses, Patricia. And imagining how excited you must be for the trip. Have a wonderful time with your family and safe travels.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were amazed by these roses, and so proud of them. Now we are back and getting the garden sorted again. It was a great holiday.

      Delete
  9. Your roses are gorgeous! Never thought they could be as beautiful as the ones in English gardens, but you have proved me wrong. Hope you are having a great time in Canada now! Be sure and rest up when you return. That is a long journey. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so proud of the giant roses. But there were only a few of them, unlike the abundance one sees in England. But we keep trying against the odds. It was a great trip, and yes, very long, but we have done it many times. Now to get back to reality :)

      Delete

A VERY ARTY POST

   Hello dear Readers We saw many museums and art galleries on our trip to Canada, and loved them all. Above is an installation in the foyer...