Tuesday, June 30, 2026

WINTER

 


This week the Camellias finished blooming...

What a spectacular time it has been, hundreds of gorgeous pink blooms and carpets of pink petals decorating our courtyard for several months.

Winter has come, and the roses are budding again...


I finished my new dress, and wore it to a concert at City Hall last Sunday.  In fact, it was so cool I took a coat!



Presented by Brisbane Chorale and Brisbane Philharmonic Orchestra, 'A Sea Symphony' by English composer Vaughan Williams was the highlight.  I have not heard it before, and enjoyed the powerful choral work, selections from Walt Whitman's 'Leaves of Grass'  in four thrilling movements: A Song for all Seas, all Ships; On the Beach at night alone; Scherzo - The Waves; and The Explorers.  All very exciting and evocative.

The program included Elgar's 'Pomp and Circumstance March No. 4' and the gorgeous 'The Lark Ascending' also by Vaughan Williams.

We had coffee with our friends, and had a wonderful afternoon.


Untitled 1999, Sonabai, [1930-2007] India. (Camellia Cottage photo)

Would you like to hear a true story?

A lady called Sonabai Rajawar was born in a village in Central India in 1930.  After marriage from 1953 to 1968 she was shut in their farmhouse with her baby, by her jealous husband.

She could tend to them but not leave.  She had no artistic training.

However, she dug clay from the courtyard, and made clay toys and figures for her son.  They are whimsical, colourful and beautiful.

During the hot Summers, she cooled the house by shaving strips of bamboo, and made grids covered in clay to catch the breeze.  Snakes, parrots and other figures were added, coloured by the use of herbs and spices from the kitchen and garden.  Eventually she transformed the whole house.  She enjoyed the effects of negative space.

Untitled,1999  Sonabai, [1930-2007]India (Camellia Cottage photo)

In 1983 Museum scouts came to the area seeking works for a new Folk Art museum at Bhopal.  They were shown Sonabai's work, and despite her protests pickaxed and took away some of it.  By then, her son had grown up.  Six months later Sonabai was given a solo exhibition and in 1985 awarded a President's Award in Delhi for her new art form.  In her isolation, without any outside influence, she had invented this beautiful Folk Art style.  

In 1986 she travelled to San Diego with her son to demonstrate how she made her work, and on her return to India was granted a Government salary to teach local artists her style.  Many of her pupils gained national and international recognition.  The style was named Surguji Style (her district was called Surguji).

Sonabai died in 2007.

Don't you love stories about women who survive and become successful against all the odds?  

I really enjoy her work and love showing it to people at our State Art Gallery.

Untitled 1999, Sonabai, [1930-2007] India (Camellia Cottage photo)

Out walking this week, two wild ducks share the footpath..

We have been spending a few days caring for grandkids during the current School holidays.  They are such a delight.  I have been drawing birds for them to paint with watercolours and we all have had a wonderful time.

Have an excellent week

XXXX















22 comments:

  1. Hi Trish! Love the fascinating history you share. I agree - true inspiration in not only her spirit to survive....but in her own way thrive. Your dress turned out beautifully!! While you are working to stay warm and cozy summer has fully arrived here in the northwoods. 90* F today! The pic of the ducks is darling. Blessings to you and stay cozy. 💗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie, Glad you enjoyed the story. I can hardly believe you are 90F; the temperature differences from Winter to Summer are so quick. We don't have much difference between Winter and Summer at all. Blessings from Brisbane.xxx

      Delete
  2. What an interesting story about the woman from India. Her art is delightful, and she has quite a talent. Sad about her having to stay inside all the time though. But I like how she turned the space into something wonderful. Your dress turned out lovely, Patricia. And how nice for you to watch the little grandkids on some days. I will see mine very soon. Your walks with the ducks looks like a peaceful trail. I wish you wonderful July days, Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed the story about Sunabai. It is amazing how she transformed her home and maybe kept her sanity! We had a great day yesterday with the kids - I drew birds and they painted them. The walks around here are very enjoyable: trees and birds at every turn :)

      Delete
  3. I have not heard of A Sea Symphony before .. I wonder if it was played in Melbourne in the last few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not heard of it either. It was Vaughan Williams first symphony and he conducted the premiere at the Leeds Festival in 1910. It uses the choir throughout and is a very exciting performance.

      Delete
  4. What a fascinating story about the artist!
    Someone shoukd write a book about her. You made that dress? It is gorgeous! I would have loved that concert! Your pink camellia is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay, you are right, there should be a book about Sonabai. I googled but could not find one. Glad you like my dress, it took ages because I am not as slick as I used to be... You would have loved the concert, it was definitely worth the bus trip to the city!

      Delete
  5. The new dress is lovely. Perfect choice to wear at the lovely concert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I was glad I can still make a dress. It's been ages, as life as been busy this past year. Hope to make another one soon.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been many years since I sewed something as complex as a dress. You are very talented with your sewing, drawing, painting, gardening... Loved the true story of that Indian lady, so glad her creativity and suffering was rewarded. Have a good week Patricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sami. I do like to sew, even when the results are indifferent. I love hand sewing which I find very soothing. Sonabai's story is inspirational and it is a pleasure to spread her fame a little bit more.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad to be introduced to Surguji Style and her story. I hope the last half of her life was happy. She was a true artist and survivor. How charming to see two wild ducks taking a walk on the sidewalk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra. I think her life was much happier after she was able to be an artist out in the world, with pupils and steady income. Always good to see a woman triumph over adversity! I think the ducks have found a pond somewhere because I haven't seen them since.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for sharing Sonabai Rajawar‘s story. She overcame a great deal. An inspiring role model very much so and her artwork is charming. You are very talented yourself to be able to put together this lovely dress. Your camelias judging by the photo must have been an amazing sight. So nice to see your other flowers. The ducks are the kind of companions I would enjoy on my walk. I enjoyed my visit today. Thank you for a lovely post Patricia and wishing you a very happy July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise. Glad you enjoyed the Sonabai story, and thank you for dropping by. The camellias were indeed a stunning sight for 8-10 weeks. Alas, all good things come to an end and there is one last straggler dropping petals today.

      Delete
  11. Oh Trish, Sonabai Rajawar‘s story is amazing and her figures are just too lovely. What a wonderful person she must have been to remain so positive throughout her containement. By the way, your dress is beautiful and it must have been lovely to wear it to a concert. We are enduring a heatwave again and wouldn't mind a bit of cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Val, glad you liked the story of Sonabai, one of my favourite artistic stories. I often think of how she rode above those awful circumstances, apparently keeping her mental health intact for a very long time. Thank you re my dress, which I do enjoy wearing (under a heavy white coat these days). So cold here right now, with our unheated Qld. houses. We will be sending the cool back to you before you know it :)

      Delete
  12. A new dress AND a night on the town! Good for you! I'm so impressed that you made the dress, it is beautiful.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amalia. You have all been very kind to The Dress. I hope to get a lot of wear out of it. xo

      Delete

HOLIDAY PLANS AND HAPPY GARDENS

 Hello dear Readers Soon we will be heading off to Canada to visit our daughter and her family, so I'm looking at a few photos from our ...