Hello Dear Readers
Last week saw the return of our dining chairs from a local Upholsterer...
I chose a floral print (previously these chairs were plain white linen), thinking it would blend in with the garden outside.
Other than a sage feature wall, the room is white on white.
It was hoped the chairs would be back before Mr CC's Retirement tea party. Alas, this was unable to be achieved, but nobody noticed anyway.
The party began in our other reception room looking to the courtyard garden. In the excitement of the day, I completely forgot to take photos!
However, the local caterer did a fine job with some hot savoury treats and sandwiches. Our guests were about 12 people who had been part of my husband's working life over 61 years. All are very old friends now.
We had help from our sons and family members.
I made a little speech about the career milestones, including that we met in the office as very young workers for the Government, and were married several years later.
Everyone joined in with a few comments or memories, we enjoyed the champagne, and then retreated to the pool deck for tea and cake.
I made mini cup cakes, a lime and passionfruit sponge, a chocolate cake, and some almond cookies. My friend brought a delicious lemon/ginger slice.
Last week I had to see an Endodontist for root canal treatment for an infection under an old crown on a back molar.
Oh my, it was a long 40 minute process, very uncomfortable as he drilled through to the infection I had not known I had.
No wonder I have been very tired lately!
The Dr said he put in 'a paste' which I assume is an anti-biotic, and I have to go back in September and go through it all again and maybe get a new crown.
Well, Old Age is not for the faint of heart. As the Dr said, to have a good old age, they want us to see well, hear well, and eat well.
We are working on these things, and have also been for hearing tests.
We do not always hear what the other one says, but in fact we are not defined as 'deaf' for the purposes of health insurance.
Our hearing is 'normal for our age', which means a slight decline.
The Audiologist recommended making sure we face the speaker, and choose where we stand for best hearing.
Tomorrow I have a Covid jab, and hopefully we can now concentrate on getting ready for an upcoming visit to Canada to see our daughter.
I can't wait to get on the plane!
Have a great week
XXXXX


.jpg)





Oh Patricia, I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that dental work. That is one of the most uncomfortable things to deal with. I really like your floral chair pads, and they add a nice touch to your dining room. You had a variety of desserts for the party, which all sound Yummy. What a lovely photo of you two just starting out your life. I noticed your sage green walls, and that is the same color as Nel's walls, very pretty. I hope your tooth heals quickly. And while you are anxiously waiting to get on a plane, I was anxiously waiting to get off haha. I do not like traveling at all, but to see all those sweet faces makes the journey better. Your yellow roses are coming along so beautifully. Take care, dear Patricia.
ReplyDeleteDear Sheri, thank you for your lovely comments. I'm so happy my green walls are like Nel's - it is good to feel I am in touch with contemporary colours. It took a long time for me to be comfortable on planes, but now I have it worked out for the long-haul flights which are about 14 hours. I choose the movies carefully and leave some for the return trip. My routine is Read/Movie/meal/sleep/read/movie. If I want more screen time I watch the documentaries. Yellow Roses send their best wishes back to your lovely Roses.
ReplyDeleteHello dear Trish!
ReplyDeleteThe party sounds like it was a big success and everything you described made my mouth water! I LOVE how you had the chairs upholstered. They turned out beautifully. 😍 I'm so sorry to hear about the infection and crown work. But just think how wonderful it will be when it is all done and hopefully you won't have future issues. I think folks forget how much teeth are such an important part of our overall health. I hope you will have wonderful and safe travels! And that the air quality gets better. It seems the world is on fire in many spots up here in the northwoods (you can read in my recent post). Blessings to you always dear Friend. xo
Dear Carrie, thank you for your lovely kind comments. It feels good to have our chairs all nicely done after they had a rough time during storage when we moved. I did see the fires in Canada, right up north of Lake Superior. It looks really bad and I am sorry you are getting it too. What hot weather it is this Summer, and I hope it eases soon - preferably before we fly in this August :) Off to read you post now.xoxox
DeleteHello, another delightful post. Dental work, is never great at any time but it is so important to look after all areas of our health. Your party celebrations sounded fun, and I love the new look of the chairs. You obviously have a green thumb, as your garden is very colourful. Colleen NZ
ReplyDeleteHello Colleen. So true, we were just discussing that dental work is so important as we age, I have to press on and do other needed crowns, whatever the cost. Our pink roses are looking fabulous this week: at least I seem to have that figured out. Photos to come :) Thank you for visiting.
DeleteOh, I love your chairs! The view is so pretty and the color of the wall! What do you call it, sage? That was chosen by an artist! Your husband's retirement party sounds great with all that good baking of yours. Love the wedding photo! Look at your pretty, happy smile! Yes, get your health in order before your big trip to Canada! I bet you will fly over Atlanta, wave to me as you pass! xx
ReplyDeleteHi Kay, yes the wall is called Sage. It seemed to be popular in many of the homes we inspected before we chose this place. Glad you like the chairs :) You never know which way the planes go! Once we were re-routed to Atlanta for about an hour and I bought a little jug with 'Atlanta' on it, lol.
DeleteThe party sounds lovely! And such a lovely way to end one chapter and begin another. I'm sorry the chairs were not ready in time but they were well worth waiting for, they really shine in the room.
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo
Thank you Amalia, I am glad we had a party because a long career is worth celebrating in the end. The chairs are all ready for the next party: a milestone birthday coming up later this year.
DeleteOh, Trish, I love your floral print chairs and your wedding photo! It was so much fun to see!
ReplyDeleteAw, thanks Debra. Floral chairs send their regards :)
DeleteA lovely post and your chairs are gorgeous! What a special occasion that was and so nice to see your wedding photo. I'm so sorry you need root canal treatment. That won't have been nice at all. I am such a coward about the dentist. Your upcoming trip gives me courage to make one of my own. I so want to go to South Africa again before I'm too old to do so but the 11 hour flight worries me due to the thrombisis risk, which is in my family. I'm going to work on prevention methods and make a plan to go now I've read you are off to Canada again!
ReplyDeleteThank you Val. Do make your trip while you can. This will almost certainly be our last long-haul flight and we are mindful of the health aspects too. Our flight is about 14 hours, and I have worked out a routine over the years to pass the time. There are a lot of little exercises I have to do on the flight as I have a bit of lymphedema. I can't wait to land in Vancouver and know we are in Canada again. We overnight there, then the 4+ hours across to Ottawa the next day is fairly easy.
DeleteI like the floral chairs. Happy retirement to your husband. A visit to the dentist is never fun. I just had 5 implants dine in Portugal (1/3 of the price my dentist quoted me here), and bits of it were painful. I visited Toronto 30 years ago, but would love to go back to Canada to visit the other beautiful areas. Yes, long flights are a pain and uncomfortable.
ReplyDeleteThanks Sami, lots of votes for the floral chairs. Five implants is quite shocking all at once!! Well done you. Canada is very beautiful, what more can I say :)
DeleteSuch a lovely post as always! You do keep busy my dear! the retirement tea sounds very lovely! I can only imagine how excited you must be to get on the plane that will take you to your daughter! Sending you big hugs from SoCal my dear!
ReplyDeleteSo lovely you popped by dear Tamera. The tea was indeed a lovely afternoon, and I now feel I can go further and have other gatherings in our new place. I am working on the packing today, always use your 'how to' guide from years ago, with all the little designated bags for hair, skincare, makeup etc. It works a charm... xoxox
DeleteThe new chair covers look really good. This week I was at the dentist too, just for the usual preventative process and XRays. Somewhat uncomfortable (and expensive) but nothing like your epic experience. Good to hear you are off to Canada again. Enjoy. What a great idea to have a celebration of Mr CC's retirement, the food sounds excellent.
ReplyDeleteHi there grandma, Good girl doing the preventative dental. I missed a check during the move and am paying the price. Still having probs too. I am packing as we speak, it is imminent. The party was fun and a good way to find how the house works for a function of this type. It's a long way, but hope you can come see it one day. x
DeleteThis is an important topic that deserves more awareness. Thanks for putting this information together. diabetic wounds
ReplyDelete